Agri-Environment Measure under IPARD
Agri-environment Measure is innovative in the Turkish context as it encourages farmers to protect, maintain and enhance the environmental quality of their farmland. This measure adopts environmental-friendly and sustainable implementations supporting the conservation of soil, surface and ground water, biodiversity and high nature value agricultural lands.
Agri-environment Measure is implemented as a pilot measure in the candidate countries. It is not the repetition of currently implemented national or other supports as ÇATAK. The payments are done in order to compensate the income losses originating from commitments. Agri-environment Measure under IPARD Programme consists of four sub-measures, these sub-measures and the pilot districts are given below:
- Management of soil cover and soil erosion control (Beypazarı)
- Water conservation (in pilot district selection phase)
- Biodiversity - enhancing the steppe bird population (Polatlı)
- Support for introduction and maintenance of organic agricultural production methods (in pilot district selection phase)
After discussions with the Commissions, it was decided to start with “Management of soil cover and soil erosion control sub-measure”. The accreditation has been given on 21.12.2016.
Agri-environmental payments are given to the applicants who voluntarily agree to take up for 5 years environmentally-friendly commitments which go beyond the compulsory legislation. The related GAEC/Good Agricultural and Environmental Conditions Standards will be taken as basis for this pilot measure. These standards named as GAEC are formed by selecting within our national legislation and current implementations.
Support is available for natural and legal persons registered under the Farmer Registry System who can hold the land cadastre ownership or a proof of lease at least for 5 years and who on a voluntarily basis makes the agri-environmental commitments for the land management for 5 years. Minimum size of the agricultural parcel in respect of which an application may be made is 0,2 ha and the minimum size of the land applied for the support is 1 ha.
The management of soil cover and soil erosion control sub-measure
consists of 2 packages for only non-irrigated arable lands in Beypazarı. These are shown below
1) Package including green fallow requirements - common vetch/wheat (with less than 12% slope)
2) Package including perennial green cover - trefoil (with more than 12% slope)
- The farmer should keep 100% of his committed land under green fallow cover every second year. (During the commitment period, cereal and green cover are sown respectively)..
- On the committed area: annual common vetch or cereal should be sown in March or April. The cereal should be sown in autumn by the end of October the latest.
- in autumn by the second week of October the latest.
- The stubble of the preceding cereal crop should be left on the field until the green fallow is sown.
- The green fallow vegetation shall be ploughed and mixed with soil between May-June in the middle of May; green fallow shall be left on the field till the wheat is next crop will be sown.
- The crop of green fallow should be mixed to the soil and left on the field (not harvested/mowed). .
- Grazing is not allowed.
- Applicant should keep the farm record book during the whole 5-years commitment period at the level of a plot. .
- The applicant must participate to 4 hours compulsory training on this sub-measure in the first year of commitment period (training on agri-environment, crop rotation, green cover maintenance, etc.).
- Support is paid for the slopes with more than 12% which is kept under green cover by permanent plant during the whole commitment period..
- The farmer should keep 100% of his committed land under green fallow.
- Green cover land should be covered with perennial trefoil and the maintenance of trefoil (especially partial re-seeding depending on the plant density on the area) shall be ensured.
- The crop should be sown in March or April..
- The crop of green cover should be left on the field (not harvested/mowed) through the commitment period (five years). The crop of green cover can be mowed from top after the third year.
- Grazing is not allowed.
- Applicant should keep the farm record book during the whole 5-years commitment period.
- The applicant must participate to 4 hours compulsory training on this sub-measure in the first year of commitment period, (training on agri-environment, crop rotation, green cover maintenance, etc.).
As Managing Authority, our duty is to elaborate the measure fiches, calculate the payments and organize the awareness raising meetings and trainings. Under this scope, three awareness raising meetings were arranged during 2014 and 2015. Also, trainings for farmers and advisors were given in 2015.